Saturday, October 18, 2008

Thank-You to the Brain Damage Lady

I was on my bike on a street at the University of Missouri. A pedestrian stopped and asked me if I would consider wearing a bike helmet. I said I had thought about it, but I found them uncomfortable. She said it was possible to have an accident and experience brain damage from which you might never recover. She said it had happened to her. I went home and thought about it, and I decided it made sense to wear a helmet. It helped that so many other bicyclists did so. This seemed to be one of those geeky things that the smart people did, regardless of whether it was geeky. So I started wearing a helmet whenever I biked. Since then, my head has hit the pavement on three different occasions. And I am fine. So thank you, brain-damage lady. You may have saved my life.

0 comments: