Monday, May 10, 2010

Google Desktop on 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10

I could have downloaded Google Desktop in .rpm or .deb format for ease of installation, but decided instead to go with the repository approach.  I chose this approach in order to get automatic updates, and also to make it easier to install other Google software that might interest me.  There were a couple of repository options.  Before taking the manual approach to the repositories, I decided to try Google's automated installation script.  To run that script, I entered these two lines into Terminal, as instructed:


That caused Ubuntu's Update Manager to fire up and offer to install a bunch of software updates.  I gave it my consent to proceed.  When it was done, I went into System > Administration > Synaptic and searched for google-desktop.  I marked google-desktop-linux for installation and clicked Apply.  Now I had a new Ubuntu menu item, Applications > Google Desktop.  I went into that and clicked OK, or whatever it was.

Now I noticed I had a Google Desktop icon in the system tray, or whatever they call it in Linux -- in, that is, the bottom right corner of the screen.  I right-clicked on that and set my Preferences.  In Preferences, I typed in "/media" as a folder to search, since I had some Windows XP partitions with data there.  Now the hard drive began churning away, presumably indexing the stuff in those partitions.

While that was doing its thing, I went back into Synaptic, searched for google, and clicked on Package, to arrange the options alphabetically.  I installed googleearth.  I noticed a google-chrome-beta, but decided I didn't need it right now.

I tried using Google Desktop.  It only searched the web.  I right-clicked on the system tray icon and changed the default search type to Desktop.  I was searching for "command economy."  It didn't find anything like that on my desktop.  I right-clicked on the icon again and chose Index > Index status.  It said it was only about 15% done with indexing, so I let it go for a while.  But when it was done, it had catalogued only a small number of my total files, so I guessed that it was not cataloguing subdirectories in /media.  I went into Google Desktop Help for Linux and searched around.  I didn't find an answer, so I posted a question.  Ultimately, I solved this (and other difficulties arising from 64-bit Ubuntu by downgrading to 32-bit Ubuntu.