Saturday, June 5, 2010

VMware Workstation 7 Installation: Permission Denied

I had been using VMware Workstation on Ubuntu for several years.  VMware put out a new release of Workstation 7, so I downloaded it.  I tried using the familiar steps I had used to upgrade VMware.  It had been just a matter of entering these two commands:

sudo chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.0-261024.i386.bundle 
sudo ./VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.0-261024.i386.bundle
This time, though, it didn't work.  The first one went OK; but after the second one, I got this:

bash: ./VMware-Workstation-Full-7.1.0-261024.i386.bundle: Permission denied

Malcolm Lewis explained that I could use ./ to execute the file after running chmod, but I could skip the chmod command and just use one command:  sh [filename].  So I tried that.  And, you know, that worked.  Or at least it went further than before.  So apparently my chmod +x command was not sufficient to make the thing executable.  Possibly I needed to use chmod 777 or something.

I say it went further because I didn't type "sudo sh"; I just typed "sh" followed by the downloaded VMware bundle file.  So after it said, "Extracting VMware Installer...done," it stopped with an error:  "root access is required for the operations you have chosen."  I did it again with sudo, and this time it ran.  End of problem!

0 comments: