In another recent post, I described the process of installing Ubuntu 10.04. This post offers a streamlined version of that post. That is, it describes another such installation, performed on the basis of that post.
The first step was to install Ubuntu from the live CD. As before, in this step I installed everything into one root partition. When installation was complete, I copied my saved fstab from a separate partition to replace the existing /etc/fstab, and then typed "sudo gedit /etc/fstab." There, I replaced the UUID for the root partition with the new one shown in another Terminal session via "sudo blkid." I saved and closed fstab. This part still did not go smoothly -- I still had not mastered the translation of the Ubuntu Community Documentation webpage into terms that fit my situation -- but essentially I typed "cd /" and then "sudo mv /home /old_home" to park the newly installed but largely empty /home folder; then "sudo mkdir /media/home." On reboot, my desktop was restored to its previous condition. I deleted the /old_home folder.
Next, I went to the folder where I had saved my backup copy of sources.list and typed "sudo cp sources.list /etc/apt/." I opened sources.list, copied the commented command lines, and ran them. They generated what appeared to be error messages. In Software Sources, I triggered a reload. It closed without errors. In Synaptic, I installed these programs: acroread, acroread-fonts, adobe-flashplugin, boinc, dvgrab, fdutils, gparted, mplayer, nautilus-open-terminal, ntfs-config, p7zip-full, sysinfo, ubuntu-tweak, unetbootin, and webhttrack, as well as these font packages: ttf-mscorefonts-installer, sun-java6-fonts, ttf-sil-gentium, ttf-sil-gentium-basic, ttf-dustin, and ttf-georgewilliams. As before, I typed "sudo sh" to install my .bin and .bundle downloads (e.g., GoogleEarthLinux.bin) and double-clicked to install my .deb downloads. Then I went into Update Manager, and ran and reran it until I was all caught up.
Monitor driver installation and BOINC configuration were as described in the "Settings and Adjustments" section of the previous post. The GRUB2 menu edits, as described more carefully in that post, were as follows: to get rid of the Memtest+ options, I typed "sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+." To let Ubuntu remember which operating system it had used last, I typed "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub," changed the first line to be "GRUB_DEFAULT=saved," and added a second line that said "GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true. To limit the number of Ubuntu kernels shown, I typed "sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/10_linux," added "GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY=true" at the top, and changed two lines at the bottom to be three that read as follows:
list=`echo $list | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -vx $linux | tr '\n' ' '`I saved and closed that and typed "sudo update-grub." I typed "sudo vmware" and made some root adjustments there. I rebooted and everything looked good. There were a few rough spots, but I could see that this might not take very long at all, once you got the hang of it.