Friday, March 25, 2011

Windows 7: Windows Explorer: CDs and DVDs: Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc

When loading a program DVD, I noticed that Windows Explorer showed its files in two groups:  "Files Currently on the Disc" and "Files Ready to Be Written to the Disc."  This wasn't a DVD/RW disc, so this grouping didn't make sense.  I wanted to get rid of it.  I ran a search and got advice to paste this address into the address bar in Windows Explorer:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder
and, there, to delete all contents from the Temporary Burn Folder (but not the folder itself). That solved half the problem:  the "Files Ready" group was gone, but I still had "Files Currently on the Disc."  I ran another search and found a webpage leading to a How-To Geek page that said this was a result of having Windows 7 built-in (as distinct from e.g., Nero third-party) DVD burning enabled.  To disable the built-in burning, I downloaded their registry hack for Vista and verified in regedit that it added the desired value to the Win7 registry.  I checked in Windows Explorer.  The Files Currently on the Disc message was still there.  I rebooted.  On reboot, I got an error:
explorer.exe
The parameter is incorrect
I wasn't sure if this resulted from the registry edit.  The Files Currently on Disc message was no longer there when I selected the DVD drive (with a disc in the drive) in Windows Explorer.  The original problem seemed to be fixed.  Glary Registry Repair did not identify the registry tweak as a problem.  I went ahead and added it to my all-purpose Win7RegEdit.reg registry tweak file that I would run when installing Windows 7.

0 comments: