Thursday, February 9, 2012

Windows 7: Some Updates Were Not Installed

I was trying to install Windows 7 updates on a 32-bit Asus Eee PC.  Repeated tries had brought me to a standstill:  a few incremental successes along the way, but now I was just consistently getting this:

Windows Update

Some updates were not installed

Failed:  6 updates

Review important updates

Error(s) found:

Code 66A:  Windows Update encountered an unknown error.  Get help with this error.
Clicking on the "Get help" link opened a general-purpose help dialog with eight different possible solutions.  It was not clear which one I would need.  I put that on hold and consulted a previous post in which I'd had a similar problem in Windows XP.  That effort had failed, and anyway that was a while back.  I did a new search.  That led to advice to go into Control Panel > Programs and Features > Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile > right-click > Uninstall/Change > Repair.  When that was done, it needed to reboot.  After rebooting, I went back to Windows Update and tried again.  That was the solution.

0 comments: