Sunday, March 18, 2012

Batch Converting DOC to PDF with 7-PDF Maker

I had some Microsoft Word .doc files.  I wanted to convert them to PDF.  I wanted to be able to do this from the command line, so as to reach into different folders and process large numbers of them at once.

I went into Softpedia and did a search.  It came up with numerous free programs for this purpose.  I chose 7-PDF Maker.  It had a pretty good rating, as Softpedia programs go (4.0 stars; 16,001 downloads), and it did offer a command-line option.  I also downloaded its manual.  (It had a real manual!)

Once 7-PDF Maker was installed, I searched for its command-line executable, 7p.exe.  I put a copy of it into D:\Workspace (i.e., the folder where I was working).  That way, my commands that referred to 7p.exe would know where to find it.  There were other ways, but this was simplest, and 7p.exe was not a filename that would get confused with the ones I wanted to convert.

I opened a command window in D:\Workspace and typed "7p /?" to see what the command line options were.  Basically, it seemed, I could save the DOC as a PDF with a command as simple as "7p D:\Workspace\File.doc."  The /? instructions seemed to be saying that I had to specify an absolute path for the source file (i.e., not just "File.doc" without the drive and folder information).  I was not sure whether that was necessary with a copy of 7p.exe in the working folder.  There was also an option to save the resulting PDF to a different folder (e.g., "7p File.doc D:\Workspace\Output").  In addition, I could use wildcards.  7p.exe D:\Folder\*.doc would convert all doc files in Folder to PDF.  The same command with *.* would convert all supported files to PDF.  There were many supported filetypes (manual p. 18), including Word, WordPerfect, OpenOffice, Excel, PowerPoint, and various image formats (e.g., BMP, TIF, JPG, PNG).

There were also options for overwriting and recursion (i.e., working down through subdirectories).  In both cases, the default was false (i.e., don't recurse, don't overwrite).  The default was all I needed, so I did not investigate the exact syntax.  But it appeared that one instance of the word "true" on the command line would be construed as an instruction to recurse.

I gave it a test run with x.doc.  The command I used was simply "7p x.doc."  That gave me an error, so I tried "7p D:\Workspace\x.doc."  That gave me a different error:  "Variante referenziert kein Automatisierungsobjekt."  One translation was, "Variant does not reference an automation object."  Did this mean that x.doc was not a convertible DOC file?  Or that I should have been running this in the 7-PDF installation folder on drive C?  I tried the latter with an absolute path (i.e., not just "7p x.doc").  Same "Variante referenziert" error.

I tried opening x.doc in Word.  Oh.  Now I understood.  It was called a DOC file, but it was actually just a text file with a DOC extension.  But the manual said that text files were supported.  Maybe the .doc extension was confusing 7p?  I changed it to x.txt and tried the original approach of running the command in D:\Workspace rather than in the installation folder on drive C.  Specifically, I tried just "7p x.txt."  It said, "URL seems to be an unsupported one."  Maybe it was the wrong kind of text file.  Whatever; I used a text to PDF converter for them instead.

I did not proceed further with 7-PDF because, at this point, I found an alternative I liked better.  Not to say that 7-PDF was a bad program; it just was not working really well for me at this point.

0 comments: