Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Publications: Bureaucrat: Service with a Smile

In the early 1990s, I was employed with a federal agency. It taught me about bureaucracy. I kept copious notes; and after I departed, I processed the experience. I was interested in writing another book vaguely like Take the Bar, but I wanted to talk about a subject that would interest more people. So this time around there would be no footnotes or extensive research; it would be more like a novel, but it would give me (and any interested readers) a chance to work through what, exactly, was happening to us in our working lives.

So in the mid-1990s I wrote Bureaucrat: Service with a Smile. It does accurately reflect what life was like, for those of us who were working in some branches of the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC). The RTC is gone now; it dissolved along with the conclusion of the savings & loan (S&L) crisis and bailout that led to its creation in the late 1980s. I promoted the manuscript to a number of publishers but found no takers. I finally put it on a webpage in 1999 and essentially forgot about it. I was wondering if it was still there, so today I looked and, yeah, it is. I have just re-read a few pages of it, and, you know, I still think it was a fun book.

0 comments: