I had Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on one machine and 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on another. I discovered that 8.10 does, but 8.04 does not, permit an in-place update to 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope). In other words, I would have to install 9.04 from scratch, using the installation CD, on the machine where 8.04 was installed; but I could update online, without doing a complete new installation with the CD, on the machine running 8.10. The online update was straightforward. Following advice, I took the following steps:
- Go to System/Administration/Update Manager
- Click the Check button to check for new updates.
- If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
- A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
- Click Upgrade.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.