Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Windows 7: Converting Old Outlook Express DBX Files

I was running Windows 7.  I had some files with a .dbx extension from Outlook Express (OE) in Windows XP.  There was a separate DBX file for the Inbox, the Outbox, and every other folder I had used in OE.  OE did not come with Win7, and I heard it would not even run on Win7 if I did get a copy of it from somewhere.  This is a brief summary of how I extracted emails from those DBX files.

I had two different kinds of OE DBX files, and I had to use both of the following approaches to get the files out of all of them.  Each approach had its advantages.

First Approach:  DBXConvert

There were many Win7 utilities for sale that would apparently extract individual emails and newsgroup posts from old OE DBX files.  I finally found a freeware solution, DBXConv.zip, available for download from the bottom of a German webpage.  I unzipped and double-clicked the resulting portable DBXConvert.exe (I think it was just dbxconv.exe before I renamed it), but all I saw was the brief flash of a Win7 DOS command box.  This told me that it was doing something in DOS and was then terminating, all too quickly for me to see.

To see what was happening, I wanted to run DBXConvert from a DOS box.  To do this, I used an option I had previously installed using Ultimate Windows Tweaker (UWT).  The option in question was in the Additional Tweaks section of UWT.  This option added an "Open Command Window Here" context menu (i.e., right-click) option in Windows Explorer.  In other words, in Windows Explorer I went to the folder where I had saved DBXConvert.exe, right-clicked on that folder, and opened a command window there.

In the DOS box, I typed DIR to see whatever files were in there, and to run the executable one I just typed its name (e.g., DBXConv.exe) and hit Enter.  Now I saw that DBXConv needed me to specify additional instructions before it would run.  To see the options, as with any DOS command, I typed "dbxconv /?"  Using what I learned from that, I typed "dbxconv -eml [filename]."  I am not sure exactly how I typed the filename, but it worked.  I think I typed something like "dbxconv -eml OutputFile," and that's where the individual messages from the DBX file went.

Second Approach:  Windows Live

If memory serves, I downloaded and installed Windows Live Mail 2011 (WLM) and then found that it would not retrieve newsgroup posts from DBX files, and that's why I went with the DBXConvert approach for some of the DBX files.  The WLM approach did not give me individual EML files that I would then have to import into my email program or convert in an additional step.  Instead, the emails and posts went (or at least I moved them into) my Hotmail account, which I viewed on Thunderbird and then was able to export as individual EMLs.

7 comments:

Unknown

The Outlook Express dbx file recovery software has an easy-to-use wizard that will help you learn the Outlook Express repair procedure. Visit this link for more info: Outlook Express: Repair Corrupted DBX File

Unknown

Another Stellar Dbx to Windows Live Mail Converter software that provides safe and easy migration to Windows Live Mail from Outlook Express. It exports all the emails from DBX data to Windows Live mailboxes. And also effortlessly transforms all the Outlook Express emails to Windows Live EML files.

Go through: http://www.mannatsoftware.com/stellardbx-to-windows-live-mail-converter.html

Unknown

Effective Email Converter application which can easily efficient tool to import Outlook to Outlook Express and Outlook Express to Outlook.Get more useful information of this tool here: - http://www.pcrecoveryutility.com/email-converter.html

paulspmiths

Email Converter software is a small program that you can use to convert email message files (.eml) to .msg, Text or HTML format.It is very efficient tool to import Outlook to Outlook Express and Outlook Express to Outlook.

Read more:- http://www.emailconverter.pcrecoverytools.com/

Anonymous

Email converter software is able to transform an e-mail to an SMS and the opposite. Any program, which can interact, with an e-mail interface, with their users can easily include the converter to improve user access.

Read more:- http://www.filesrecoverytools.com/email-converter.html

Anonymous

Use advance DBX to PST file converter software to successfully repair DBX file and effortlessly move data from DBX file to PST format. This is the best application available to move data from Outlook express to Outlook with all versions.

http://www.esofttools.com/dbx-converter.html

sofiajames

DBX Converter tool is capable to migrate DBX to PST, MBOX, EML file format, etc. The software tool is easily migrating you all date in one time without any problem. The tool provides operating on all Outlook and Windows versions.

For more info visit: https://www.softwarewiki.org/dbx-converter/