Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Windows 7: Wait Until the Current Program is Finished Uninstalling

I was using Windows 7.  I wanted to uninstall a program.  I went into Control Panel > Programs and Features, selected the program to uninstall, and clicked Uninstall.  This gave me an error message:

Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed.
I ran a search and found various forms of advice.  Trying the easiest solutions first, the one that worked for me was to go into Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), go to the Processes tab, and end InstallManager.exe.  A few other possibilities were to run Revo-Uninstaller; to run CCleaner; to look in Task Manager for any other processes that said Setup or Installer; to reinstall the program and then try uninstalling; or to reboot and try uninstalling in Safe Mode.

15 comments:

Anonymous

Thanks! :)

Unknown

Open Task Manager, go to processes, and kill explorer.exe - then go to file, new task, type explorer and click OK - that's it. Fixed for me.

babu

Its worked for me.thanks

Andrey

Hello Kyle,

your hint worked for me either.

Greetings from Hamburg,
Andrey

Anonymous

Killing explorer.exe fixed the problem for me too.

rainabba

Windows 8.1 and MS still can't do the simplest things correctly forcing reboots or stupid actions like suggested here (but that work). I too had to kill explorer.exe and restart it to prevent a full reboot. thanks for the tip.

rainabba

Windows 8.1 and MS still can't do the simplest things correctly forcing reboots or stupid actions like suggested here (but that work). I too had to kill explorer.exe and restart it to prevent a full reboot. thanks for the tip.

Anonymous

Thanks
Revo uninstaller worked like magic....
I recommend to all.

Anonymous

Thanks from me too.

Anonymous

Thanks a lot! Worked like a treat!

Anonymous

yes, Revo uninstaller is a true magic.
thanks

Unknown

thank you kyle hanson quick and easy fix.

Anonymous

Thank you Kyle Hanson, fixed the problem very quickly :)

Anonymous

thank you! it worked.

Unknown

Thank you Kyle, worked for me also. Easiest and quickest.